The deadline for applications has passed.
The Association for Jewish Studies is pleased to announce its Subvention Program for First Books. This program is designed for current AJS member authors who already have secured publishing contracts but who require subventions to ensure publication of their first books. The AJS will grant a limited number of awards of no more than $3,000 each. A multidisciplinary committee of scholars will evaluate applications. In deciding how to allocate these funds, the committee will consider both the scholarly significance of the book and the demonstrated need for subvention support. Applications are invited from AJS members in all research disciplines.
Applications must be AJS members for the current 2018 – 2019 membership year.
Subventions will only be awarded for individually authored first books (multiple authored books are ineligible; an applicant who has already published an edited collection will not be disqualified).
Only manuscripts written in English are eligible.
In the view of the selection committee, manuscripts should make a substantial scholarly contribution to Jewish Studies.
All applications will be submitted using Interfolio. Using Interfolio for the AJS Subvention Grant for First Books is free for all applicants. If you do not already have an account with Interfolio, you will be able to create one free of charge.
A complete application includes:
1. Application Form (on Interfolio)
3. A book proposal, including a description of the book project, chapter summaries, methods used, and information about the book’s relationship to the field and the academic and/or public market.
4. A budget delineating the subvention support requested; the budget should list any other subvention awards to which the author plans to apply.
5. Two sample chapters, ideally one which includes the book’s introduction.
6. Copy of the provisional book contract
The deadline to apply for the AJS Subvention Grant for First Books is March 15, 2019.
Contact Amy Weiss at email@example.com.