AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowship Competition
The Dissertation Completion Fellowships encourage the timely completion of doctorates by the most promising graduate students in the field of Jewish Studies. Only students who are in the final stages of writing their dissertations and who display clear
evidence of their ability to defend their dissertations by the end of the fellowship year are eligible to apply for this program. The fellowship runs from September 2023 – June 2024.
Recipients may receive up to $25,000 as well as complimentary registration for the 2023 AJS Annual Conference. The AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowships will be awarded based on merit and need. Fellowship recipients must submit evidence
of any additional funding, at which point the AJS fellowship amount may be reduced to account for these extra funds. This fellowship will thus serve as a “top-off” award for recipients with additional funding. Recipients without any other
funding will be eligible to receive $25,000, the full amount of the award.
Deadline to Apply: November 15, 2022
- • The applicant must be completing a dissertation in the field of Jewish Studies, broadly conceived.
- • Applicants must be current members of the AJS at the time of application (the current membership period runs from January to December 2022).
- • Applicants must have completed all requirements of the PhD except for the dissertation (ABD status) by the application deadline.
- • The dissertation must be in English, although citations may be in other languages provided translations are included.
- • Recipients of a Dissertation Completion Fellowship may not receive total grant support more than $25,000 during their fellowship year.
- • CV
- • Dissertation Proposal
- • Dissertation Table of Contents
- • Two Dissertation Chapters (one of which should not be the introduction, conclusion, or literature review)
- • One-page timeline outlining the schedule for completing and successfully defending the dissertation by June 30, 2024
- • Bibliography (no more than 2–3 pages)
- • Two Confidential Letters of Recommendation
- • Status Confirmation Form to be completed by department chair or director of graduate studies (Download)
Questions? Contact Amy Weiss at email@example.com
2016-2023 AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowships