AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowship Competition
The Dissertation Completion Fellowships encourage the timely completion of doctorates by the most promising graduate students in the field of Jewish Studies. Only students who are in the final stages of writing their dissertations and who display clear evidence of their ability to defend their dissertations by the end of June of the fellowship year are eligible to apply for this program.
New to the 2021–2022 fellowship year, recipients may receive up to $25,000 as well as complimentary registration fees to the 2021 AJS Annual Conference. The AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowships will be awarded based on merit and need. Fellowship recipients must submit evidence of any additional funding, at which point the AJS fellowship amount may be reduced to account for these extra funds. This fellowship will thus serve as a “top-off” award for recipients with additional funding. Recipients without any other funding will be eligible to receive $25,000, the full amount of the award.
Deadline to Apply: November 15, 2020
- • The
applicant must be completing a dissertation in the field of Jewish
- • Applicants must be members of the AJS for the membership period running from January to December 2020.
- • Applicants must have completed all requirements of the PhD except the dissertation (ABD status) by the application deadline.
- • The dissertation must be in English, although citations may be in other languages provided translations are included.
- • Recipients of a Dissertation Completion Fellowship may not receive total grant support in excess of $25,000 during their fellowship year.
- • CV
- • Dissertation Proposal
- • Dissertation Table of Contents
- • One-page timeline outlining schedule for completing and successfully defending the dissertation by June 30, 2022.
- • Two Dissertation Chapters (one of which should not be the
introduction, conclusion, or literature review)
- • Bibliography (no more than 2–3 pages)
- • Two Confidential Letters of Recommendation
- • One Confidential Time to Degree Confirmation Form (to be completed by the applicant’s department chair or graduate program director)
Questions? Contact Amy Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org